(Traditional And Expansion)
The Traditional Educational Choice Scholarship (EdChoice) Program was created to provide students from under performing public schools the opportunity to attend participating private schools. The program provides up to 60,000 EdChoice scholarships to eligible students.
The EdChoice Expansion Program is an income-based program. It provides students in grades K – 12 the opportunity to attend a private school for little or no cost whose families meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines. This program is only open to students who do not qualify for the Educational Choice Scholarship. In order to qualify, you must meet certain financial parameters. Click here to see those.
Traditional EdChoice scholarships overview
- Maximum scholarship amounts are set by Ohio law:
- $4,650 for elementary (K – 8)
- $6,000 for high school (9-12)
- Scholarships pay for tuition only.
- Actual scholarship amount paid will be the amount listed above or the private school’s tuition, whichever is less.
- Income verification is not required, but families who may qualify for low income status are encouraged create an OHID account and to apply. Qualifying families may not be required to pay for tuition above the scholarship amount and may be able to receive waivers for the ACT examination and college application fees.
- All other fees are the parent’s responsibility.
Traditional EdChoice Student Eligibility
- Students are eligible to apply if they are currently attending or would be assigned to attend a public school in their resident district that has been rated in Academic Emergency or Academic Watch for at least two of the past three years. Click here to see a list of schools that have been designated eligible for the 2021-22 school year. In Allen County, Lima Senior High School, North Middle School, West Middle School, Freedom Elementary, Heritage Elementary, Independence Elementary, and Unity Elementary are EdChoice-designated for the upcoming school year. If a child receives an EdChoice scholarship to attend one of the Lima Catholic elementary schools, the scholarship can be renewed every year through his or her senior year at Lima Central Catholic.
- Students who currently attend a community (“charter”) school but would be assigned to a school on the designated list in the upcoming school year are eligible. For example, if a student attends Heir Force Community School but would be assigned to North Middle School or West Middle School based on his legal residence, he would be eligible to apply.
- Click here for an EdChoice scholarship eligibility overview.
To Apply (For Traditional and Expansion)
- Student must first apply and be accepted for enrollment by LCCHS.
- Complete the EdChoice Scholarship Request Form and return it with address verification and a copy of the student’s birth certificate to:
Sue Janowski, Guidance Counselor
720 S Cable Rd
Lima, OH 45805
- For the EdChoice Expansion Scholarship or to qualify for low income status for Traditional EdChoice, the parent must create an OHID account (http://education.ohio.gov/
Topics/Department-of- Education-OH-ID-Portal-Help) and complete the low income verification forms and upload needed documents.
- LCCHS will submit the request/renewal application on behalf of the student.
- For any questions or more information, contact Mrs. Sue Janowski, LCC Admissions and Ed Choice Coordinator and School Counselor, at email@example.com or (419) 222-1826.
Enrollment Dates, Scholarship Renewal and Other Information
- The initial enrollment period for 2021-22 EdChoice scholarships opens February 1, 2021. The enrollment window will be open throughout the school year.
- If a child receives an EdChoice scholarship to attend one of the Lima Catholic elementary schools, the scholarship can be renewed every year through his or her senior year at Lima Central Catholic. Current students who receive EdChoice scholarships must submit a renewal form during the enrollment periods listed above.
- The Expansion Scholarship is a year-by-year qualification depending on the family's finances and will require the same renewal form with the Income Verification Form completed with required documents uploaded to their OHID account.